We were finally able to check this one out and I continue to be impressed with how even though the offerings get bigger and bigger, Marvel is still able to keep everything coherent and flowing.
My thoughts in bullet point form, spoilers follow:
- Thanos was well done. I understood his motivations and those reasons made sense according to his warped view. It also made sense that it would take all our heroes to be able to bring him down (see “moon throw” for reference)
- Three (two good one bad) different takes on the “sacrifice the one you love for the greater good” – Star Lord/Gamora, Scarlet Witch/Vision and Thanos/Gamora. It was interesting how many times they went to that theme
- When the logo itself half turned to dust at the end, that was cold. Kicking you while you were down
- I thought there would be more hope at the end, maybe as the camera pans back from Thanos giving the satisfied “I won” sigh and watching the sunset we might see Dr. Strange’s cape flapping off to the side or something like that
- Dr. Strange being the man in this film worked really well for me
- I found I was ready for Tony Stark to bow out. It was fine he didn’t, but again, I was ready for it
- Who’s to say Ms. Marvel didn’t turn to ash right after getting the message from Nick Fury?
- While I’m asking questions, since he can shape all reality while not just make everything half it’s size, then the universe would have enough resources? Or for that matter, just make more food? Answer: because it’s a movie and I get that
- Great character interaction across the board, but Rocket/Winter Soldier was the best