Originally posted at GameSpot on March 5, 2008
I haven’t played it since last December, but two nights ago I hooked up Freespace 2 again and actually made some progress. Last night I made it to the mission “Rebels & and Renegades,” having decided to take the assignment offered to me by the special operations.
Naturally, I failed the first time through and was executed. NTF policies are harsh, but what can you do?
And now, some random thoughts on the game:
– According to various game guides, this Special Operations story loop is three missions long, so I hope to complete it soon and get back to the main campaign. This “side quest” will be interesting, but I hope I don’t get bogged down on a tough mission – something like that could make me put the game away for another few months (or years), and then I’ll never finish this thing.
– Whatever the outcome, I’m glad to be out of the nebula – graphically, it works very well…but it still gets monotonous. Not to mention flying blind! Give me the cold expanse of wide open space any day.
– I’ll have to go back in the mission simulator and play the previous level, “Feint! Perry! Riposte!” when I have a chance. The NTD Repulse jets in and collides with the GTVA Colossus, resulting in a huge explosion. Unfortunately, it was an explosion I never got to see. There is so much going on with fighters after me, beam weapons firing, just trying to stay alive, etc., I sometimes miss some of the better scenes the game has to offer.
– The GTVA Colossus is huge. No, I mean huge. That thing flies in and takes up half the screen. Again, this game still has what it takes even after nearly nine years.
– The game really does a good job of making you feel like you’re a part of a futuristic military unit, from the first rate briefings to the in-game chatter. Hats off to whoever made that happen.
Post tenebras lux